Sunday, January 26, 2014

First Rehearsal in the Tabernacle

This morning was my first rehearsal in the loft with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! Let me back up a little. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has some "Special Projects" coming up. They told the Chorale they had some room for some of us and priority would be given to those that could make it to all three, (along with the required rehearsals). Well, of course, I signed up for all three and I found out Friday they had room for me! Woohoo!

So this morning, after watching Music and the Spoken Word, I made my way to the back row of the second alto section. Another first was singing with Mack Wilberg conducting. (We've been working with Ryan Murphy in the Chorale.)

It wasn't a weird as I thought it was going to be. Sitting with the choir felt like coming home again. And sight-reading through the pieces is a familiar practice and one I've missed the last few years. Sitting in the back row, in the women's section, it was a little hard to hear the tenors who are up against the organ on the other side from us. That will take some getting used to. And of course being in the back row I'm not getting any help from any veteran second altos behind me. :)

3 comments: