Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sei vendicata, o madre!

I moved to Utah in October of 2012. The first opera I was able to go to was Utah Opera's production of Verdi's Il Trovatore.


This was a great production. However, there were moments when the staging felt forced. As if the singers were moving just for the purpose of getting to their mark where they could "park and bark". And I wanted Azucena to be the greatest villain of all time but she just wasn't quite crazy enough. I mean, come on, at the end of the opera (spoiler alert) she kills the man she raised as her own son to get vengeance on her enemies! In this production the chorus really shines. They get to sing the famous Anvil song right before Azucena's aria. I love this opera and Azucena as a character.





Here's the Anvil Chorus followed by Azucena's aria in a MET production.


No comments:

Post a Comment